A "VILLAGE" IDEAL FOR FAMILIES
In the summer of 2015 we dreamt to build a small village on Pico Island, ideal for family vacations. The option fell on the north coast of the island, for the superb views it offers. An area was chosen in the parish of Santo Amaro, Terralta, because it still has very little lodging and especially taking advantage of the excellent location, a unique landscape, cultural heritage and environmental surroundings, where calm and tranquility predominate on the natural environment.
The parish of Santo Amaro, located on the north coast of the island, is 20 km away from the county main village. It has a population of around 300 inhabitants, known for its hospitality and well-being, attracts more and more tourists every year.
Its main attractions are swimming pools of Portinho and Caisinho and the Furada picnic park. This parish was over the centuries the main shipyard of the Azores. Here also exists the Regional School of Handicraft of Santo Amaro.
The view to the West allows to observe the whole bay of Santo Amaro ... and allows to see the top of the mountain of Pico, in day of little cloudiness.The grounds were chosen for their natural beauty, flora and the existence of several ruins, which give a picturesque tone to the enterprise. The development is crossed longitudinally by a canada - Way of the Voltas - that belongs to the Railings of the Azores - Pico. The canada was kept untouched, with the integral preservation of the floor and the walls. On the grounds were two ruins of old houses, as well as some ruins of animal pens.
Our positioning is based on the conservation of nature, environmental quality and the safeguarding of the historical-cultural heritage and local identity.All housing units are equipped with photovoltaic panels, heating is done by salamanders to pellets, cooling is done by natural ventilation, water tanks have been kept for use in the irrigation, and the drinking water served is filtered local water by an active carbon system.
Located on the Traves do Outeiro das Eiras, nº 2A, Terralta, parish of Santo Amaro, municipality of São Roque, island of Pico, the Resort is made up of fourteen accommodation units:
- Three of typology T1 - A bedroom, a toilet and living room with kitchenette;
- Eight typology T2 - Two bedrooms (one with double bed, the other with two beds that can be joined), a bathroom and living room with kitchenette;
- Three of typology T3 - Three bedrooms (one with double bed, one with two beds that can be joined and a suite also with two beds that can be joined), a separate toilet for service of the first two bedrooms and living room with kitchenette.
With the dimensional characteristics of the lots and the steep slope, terraces, the ruins, as well as the new proposed houses, will all have privacy as well as a large surrounding green area and still full and panoramic sea views, both for the Canal and the Island of São Jorge, as well as the bays of the island of Pico, beautiful sea recesses along the parishes of Santo Amaro, Praínha and São Roque.
The heating of the accommodation units is done by a pellet stove in the living room and oil heaters in the bedrooms.
All the houses are also fully equipped with oven, hob, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine with dryer, iron and ironing board, safe and other kitchen equipment such as pots, blender, kettle , coffee maker and cooking utensils.
This level of equipment makes the accommodations ideal for extended stays in the winter.
Although the houses are equipped with a washing machine, there is a laundry and ironing service at the resort, which guests may request.
Accommodation towels are changed every three days and bed sheets every seven days, on longer bookings, as required by Resorts in the category of Tourist Apartments. However, being a four star resort, both the towels and the sheets can be changed at any time upon guests request.
The project was designed to alter as little as possible the orography of the land, so that the integration of the houses was as harmonious as possible.
In the design of the resort local materials were used, namely the stone and the wood of criptoméria, in the interiors and exteriors (ceilings, facades, some furniture).
Materials were used that allow the thermal and acoustic insulation of all houses.
All windows and glass doors of the development are double-glazed.
In the gardens, we introduced local plants, many of which were endemic, and preserved the species that existed initially.
We do the total separation of the garbage for recycling.
We kept the old tanks (cisterns), with use of rainwater for irrigation.
The heating of water is made using energy-efficient heat pumps, coupled to photovoltaic panels that will potentiate them, minimizing energy consumption and preserving the environment.
The heating of the houses is done through pellets stoves, a clean and renewable energy.
In the lighting of the whole project were used led lamps and some have a motion sensor (for example, in the bathrooms of the restaurant). The lights of our houses are connected by card so that they are not lit during the absence of guests.
Most of the products used in our restaurant (meat, fish, honey, jams, vegetables, fruit, eggs, cheese, butter, etc.) are produced on the island.
The Resort has several equipment of common use:
- Heated swimming pool of 5 by 14 meters;
- Panoramic multipurpose room, where yoga classes are held several times a week, which can be frequented by guests, free of charge, for a fee, or that can be requested by groups of guests;
- The room can be requested for other events such as company meetings.
- Restaurant with capacity for 40 people in the room and 20 people in the terrace, with breakfast buffet service (not included in the daily rate) from 8am to 10am, lunch from 12:30pm to 2:30pm and dinner from 7pm to 10pm
- Small grocery store, with all kind of products needed for the preparation of meals, either breakfast, lunch or dinner, in the lodgings. If guests prefer, they can set a table in the magma restaurant or take a take-away to eat in the dining rooms of the lodgings.
- Craft Shop, so that guests can enjoy the craft of the island and buy souvenirs from last minute.